Project Renewal is a leading non-profit organization with the mission of ending the cycle of homelessness by empowering men, women and children to renew their lives with health, homes, and jobs. Our comprehensive and integrated 24/7 programs are designed to offer the holistic care our clients need. With a staff of 950+ and an annual budget of $82 million, Project Renewal is one of the larger social service nonprofits in New York City.
Title: Chef Instructor
Program: Culinary Arts Training Program
Project Renewal’s award-winning Culinary Arts Training Program was established in 1995; the Culinary Arts Training Program has been training unemployed New Yorkers in entry-level kitchen skills and placing them in jobs for over twenty years.
The essential duties of the Chef Instructor include but are not limited to the following activities:
· Overseeing the kitchen operations for dinner meal Monday thru Friday
· Supervise the cook
· Teach curriculum and providing instruction and on-the-job training to students interested in developing culinary skills.
· Developing menus with the Registered Dietitian from The Door that are wholesome, nutritious, appealing, and meet all food standards.
· Ordering food and supplies.
· Write weekly student evaluations.
· Participate in weekly team meetings.
· Experience and/or strong interest in working with adolescents and young adults; experience in a training program is a plus.
· A minimum of 3 to 5 years’ experience as a teacher or chef in a restaurant, school, or other food service business
· Must possess excellent interpersonal and presentation skills.
· Strong organizational skills.
· Basic computer skills including Microsoft Word and Excel