Project Renewal’s mission is to end the cycle of homelessness by empowering individuals and families to renew their lives with health, homes and jobs. Our comprehensive and integrated 24/7 programs are designed to offer the holistic care our clients need. With a staff of 950+ and an annual budget of $82 million, Project Renewal is one of the larger social service nonprofits in New York City.
Position: Chief Compliance Officer
Reporting to the President and CEO of Project Renewal and working collaboratively with the senior management team, the Chief Compliance Officer [CCO] oversees the Corporate Compliance Program for Project Renewal.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The essential duties of the CCO include but are not limited to the following activities
· Acts as an independent review and evaluation body to ensure that compliance issues/concerns within the organization are being appropriately evaluated, investigated and resolved.
· Develops, at least annually, a corporate compliance audit/review schedule delineating the areas identified for review. Updates as necessary and submits schedule to Corporate Compliance Committee of the Board and the full Board of Directors.
· Ensures that management and employees are in compliance with revenue cycle management rules, regulations & practices.
· Develops, initiates, maintains, and revises policies and procedures for Corporate Compliance Program and its related activities to prevent illegal, unethical, or improper conduct; manages day-to-day operations of the Program.
· Monitors, and as necessary, coordinates compliance activities of other departments to remain abreast of the status of all compliance activities and to identify trends. Identifies potential areas of compliance vulnerability and risk; develops and implements corrective action plans for resolution of problematic issues, and provides general guidance on how to avoid or deal with similar situations in the future.
· Provides reports on a regular basis, and as directed or requested, to keep the Corporate Compliance Committee of the Board and senior management informed of the operation and progress of compliance efforts.
· Ensures proper reporting of violations or potential violations to duly authorized enforcement agencies as appropriate and/or required.
· Institutes and maintains an effective compliance communication program for the organization, including promoting (a) use of the Compliance Hotline; (b) heightened awareness of Standards of Conduct, and (c) understanding of new and existing compliance issues and related policies and procedures.
· Works with the Human Resources Department and others as appropriate to develop an effective compliance training program, including appropriate introductory training for new employees as well as ongoing training for all employees and managers.
· Assume lead role in assuring compliance and financial regulations are being followed, including Sarbanes-Oxley Act, False Claims Act and HIPAA, etc.
· Monitors the performance of the Compliance Program and relates activities on a continuing basis, taking appropriate steps to improve its effectiveness.
· Performs quality-assurance functions to accomplish business coordination, monitoring, and reporting of quality-assurance studies according to the Quality Assurance and Corporate Compliance Plan(s).
· Interprets and implements quality assurance standards; studies existing policies and procedures, and interviews personnel to evaluate effectiveness of quality assurance program.
· Monitors unusual occurrences, report follow-up procedures, and report monthly and year-to- date comparisons.
· Assist other members of the managerial team with records, form revisions, and procedures.
· Writes quality assurance policies and procedures.
· Responsible for knowing current QA regulations and informing the senior management team of any new and/or revised regulations imposed.
· Selects specific topics for review, such as problem procedures, drugs, high volume cases, high risk cases, or other factors.
· Compiles statistical data and writes narrative reports summarizing quality assurance findings.
· Responsible for achieving a satisfactory working environment between other departments performing quality-assurance studies.
· May review patient records, applying utilization review criteria, to determine need for admission and continued stay in hospital.
· Assists with the monitoring of unusual occurrences; prepares action-taken reports for the senior leadership team.
· Assists the Chief Medical Officer and other managers with revisions to the Quality Assurance and Corporate Compliance Plan(s) focusing on their individual area of responsibility.
· Maintains current and accurate records of all relevant communications, audits, corrective action plans, and effectiveness monitoring.
· Serves as a member of the Quality of Care Council and Infection Control committee and ensures that corporate compliance activities are integrated into the goals of the organizational performance improvement program and, when applicable the Infection Control Process.
· Performs other duties.
· Bachelor's degree required (Experience in the field equivalent to a Bachelor's degree). A Master’s degree is preferred. A minimum of 5 years’ experience in a healthcare organization, to include demonstrated leadership. Familiarity with operational, financial, procedures and regulations is a must.
· Remains current on technological and business process trends in the industry.
· Ability to actively plan and execute audit assignments, including documentation of audit approach and findings.
· Ability to recommend means of obtaining and analyzing transactional data, as well as evaluate the accuracy of business transactions in accordance with company procedures and contracts.
· Ability to work independently and remain self-motivated with minimal direct supervision.
· Strong organization skills and close attention to detail.
· Familiarity with appropriate and effective internal control procedures.
· Good interpersonal skills with ability to interview individuals associated with audit subject matter, as well as communicate findings to management.
· Strong computer skills including an ability to use email, spreadsheets, data bases, word processing and other programs as necessary.
Job duties require the physical activities as described, subject to any necessary and reasonable accommodations due to disability. While performing the duties of the position, the CCO is regularly required to walk the floors of the facility, go up and down staircases, to stand frequently; to sit for extended periods of time using office equipment such as computers, telephones and other machines or devices, bend, stretch or carry a moderate weight.
To apply: e-mail resume and cover letter indicating position and salary requirements to: email@example.com
Project Renewal is an equal opportunity employer. Its long-standing policy has been to embrace the equality of opportunity for all employees and applicants without regard to actual or perceived race, color, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, religion or creed, gender (see separately issued Gender Discrimination policy for more detail), physical or mental disability, age (18 and over), military status, arrest record, marital status, domestic partnership status, genetic information or predisposing genetic characteristic, sexual orientation, status as a victim or witness of domestic violence, sex offenses or stalking, unemployment status or any other basis protected by applicable federal, state and local laws.