Project Renewal is a non-profit organization with the mission of ending the cycle homelessness by empowering men and women struggling with addiction and/or mental illness to rebuild their lives with renewed health, homes, and jobs.
Title: Senior Residential Aide
Program:East Third Street Men’s Shelter.
Under the general direction of the Residential Aide Supervisor, the Senior Residential Aide serves as the principal agent of the Residential Aide Supervisor in ensuring that clients perform their daily life skills activities, adhere to their program activities and objectives, and comply with shelter rules and regulations; performs related work.
East Third Street is an emergency men’s shelter which helps 175 individuals with substance abuse histories work towards health, sobriety, and, ultimately, permanent housing and employment. In addition to lodging and three meals a day, clients receive comprehensive case management services, plus an array of on-site substance abuse related and health care services provided by different programs; such as Medically Supervised Outpatient Withdrawal Services, (MSOWS), Chemical Dependency Crisis Service (CDCS), and Outpatient Recovery Center.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Depending upon the shift, the essential duties of the Senior Residential Aide include but are not limited to the following activities:
· Performs the duties of a Residential Aide.
· Works cooperatively with program staff at all levels to ensure quality of service.
· Performs hourly inspections of the facility and immediate neighborhood, and documents/reports any incidents.
· Assists in the planning and organization of recreational activities, events, and outings.
· Creates and produces monthly recreation calendars as well as flyers and posters publicizing events.
· Coordinates with shift supervisors when staff escorts to events are needed.
· Announces recreational events at weekly house meetings.
· Acts on behalf of Residential Aides Supervisor in Residential Aide Supervisor’s absence.
· Provides crisis intervention and shares accurate pertinent information with appropriate Case Manager and Senior staff.
· Performs other duties as assigned by the Residential Aide Supervisor.
Job duties generally require the physical activities described below, subject to any necessary reasonable accommodation due to disability. Whileperforming the duties of this position, Senior Residential Aides must walk the ten steps to enter the facility. Senior Residential Aides must also walk between nine floors of the facility, sub-basement to roof, climbing up and down the staircases, totaling 174 steps, in order to observe staff and clients in the event the elevator is out of order. Senior Residential Aides also walks the exterior of the facility to observe shelter residents while in the community. Furthermore, Senior Residential Aides must stand to talk to clients and staff, sit for extended periods of time at the computer, and reach or squat to get records from the files and lift up to 30lbs to assist with client’s property pack-up and distribution.
High School diploma or GED plus work experience as outlined below.
Minimum of (1) year of experience working in an emergency shelter.
Certificates and Credentials
Fire Guard certification F-02 or Fire Safety Coordinator F-80
Licenses: Valid NY State Driver’s License with a clean driving record, a plus
Teamwork: Ability to work cooperatively with peers and other staff in order to serve the needs of the clients.
Interpersonal: Ability to effectively role-model socially appropriate behavior; and to treat residents and coworkers with respect and help to create a warm, supportive environment; and to work effectively with homeless individuals with mental illness, developmental disabilities, and/or substance abuse issues.
Communication: Excellent oral, writing, and listening skills.
Computer: Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
Language: Bilingual in Spanish a plus.
Apply by email: Careers@projectrenewal.org