Project Renewal is a non-profit organization with the mission of ending the cycle homelessness by empowering men and women struggling with addiction and/or mental illness to rebuild their lives with renewed health, homes, and jobs.
Title: Case Manager Jr.
Program: East Third Street Men’s Shelter
Under the general direction of the Director of Social Services the Senior Case Manager, the Case Manager Jr. is responsible for providing the required assessment, case management, and counseling services to clients, enabling them to address their dependencies and assume control of their lives to ultimately live independently and return to permanent or alternative housing in their communities; performs related work.
East Third Street is an emergency men’s shelter which helps 170 individuals with substance abuse histories work towards health, sobriety, and, ultimately, permanent housing and employment. In addition to lodging and three meals a day, clients receive comprehensive case management services, plus an array of on-site substance abuse related and health care services provided by different programs; such as Medically Supervised Outpatient Withdrawal Services, (MSOWS), Chemical Dependency Crisis Service (CDCS), and Outpatient Recovery Center.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The essential duties of the Case Manager Jr. include but are not limited to the following activities:
· Conducts intake and assessments, including psycho-social evaluations for a case load of up to 18 clients..
· Provides case management services and assists in the creation of and adherence to their Individual Living Plans, identifying short and long term objectives to be achieved.
. Inputs all client information and updates into the CARES system.
· Counsels clients through individualized and group sessions on issues such as achieving personal goals, finding permanent or alternative housing, maintaining sobriety, complying with medication protocols and pursuing employment opportunities.
· Maintains liaison with representatives from community organizations and service and housing providers.
· Organizes and educates clients through group activities and other events.
· Maintains accurate and up to date written client documentation as required by and in accordance with city and state oversight agency guidelines.
· Provides escort to drive clients to meetings and appointments
· Performs other duties as assigned by the Director of Social Services or the Senior Case Manager.
Case Manager, Jr. Position
Job duties generally require the physical activities described below, subject to any necessary reasonable accommodation due to disability. While performing the duties of this position, the Case Manager Jr. must walk the ten steps to enter the facility. In event that the elevator is out of service, the Case Manager, Jr. must also walk between the nine floors of the facility, sub-basement to roof, climbing up and down the staircases, totaling 174 steps, in order to observe staff and to see clients. Furthermore, the Case Manager Jr. must stand to talk to clients and staff, sit for extended periods of time at the computer, and reach or squat to get records from the files. M\Finally, the case Manager Jr. must be able to use the New York City Transit system to escort clients to scheduled appointments, interviews, or meetings in any of the five boroughs.
1. Associate’s Degree;
2. Or, High School/GED Diploma and experience as described in item 1 below.
1. Two (2) years of experience working with homeless adults and/or substance abuse populations.
Teamwork: Ability to work cooperatively with peers and other staff in order to serve the needs of theclients as effectively as possible.
Organizational: An ability to work independently and to adjust one’s schedule to accommodate the needs of the clients.
Interpersonal: An ability to interface with clients as well as all levels of staff.
Communication: Excellent oral, writing, and listening skills.
Computer: Knowledge of case management software as well as Microsoft Office Suite.
Language: Bilingual or multilingual a plus.
Please forward all resumes to: Careers@projectrenewal.org