Project Renewal is a leading non-profit organization with the mission of ending the cycle of homelessness by empowering men, women and children to renew their lives with health, homes, and jobs. Our comprehensive and integrated 24/7 programs are designed to offer the holistic care our clients need. With a staff of 950+ and an annual budget of $82 million, Project Renewal is one of the larger social service nonprofits in New York City.
Title: Housing Specialist
Program: Fort Washington – On Site Rehab
The Fort Washington Men’s Shelter is a 200 bed 24/7 emergency shelter for homeless men diagnosed with mental illness and/or substance abuse. In addition to on-site rehabilitation services, our comprehensive services include case management, individual and group counseling, recreational activities and housing placement assistance. Additionally, an on-site medical, psychiatric and dental clinic operates Monday through Friday.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The essential duties of the Housing Specialist include but are not limited to the following activities:
· Utilizing vacancy rosters provided by the Center for Urban Community Services (CUCS) and other housing providers, identifies vacancies throughout the five boroughs and selects possible housing options to which clients can apply for placement.
· Reviews the application package for each client to be sure documents are complete, the psychological evaluation is current, and makes the submission to the housing provider.
· Conducts weekly individualized and groups meetings for clients focusing on housing placement issues.
· Prepare clients for housing interviews, conducting mock interview sessions, accompanying them on tours of facilities, and in general coordinate and facilitate the referral processes.
· Coordinates escorts services for groups of clients going for housing placement interviews.
· Performs special follow-up on any denial of housing applications submitted to housing providers.
· Works collaboratively with Case Managers, Entitlements Specialist and after-care Peer Counselors on housing options for clients and having the documented financial resources for submitting the applications to the housing provider.
· Per the discharge documents for clients, participates in 6 month follow-up with clients placed in housing to track their progress in maintaining their new housing.
Education and Skills
· All candidates must have a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
· A Master’s degree in Social Work is preferred
· A minimum of three (3) years of progressively responsible experience working with mentally ill individuals or homeless individuals in finding permanent housing is preferred
· Knowledge of low income housing in New York City as well as special needs housing, including the NY/NY Supportive Housing and Section 8 housing. .
· Must have knowledge of case management softwares as well as a proficiency in Microsoft Office, especially Word and EXCEL.
To apply: e-mail resume with cover letter indicating position and salary requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Project Renewal is an equal opportunity employer. Its long-standing policy has been to embrace the equality of opportunity for all employees and applicants without regard to actual or perceived race, color, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, religion or creed, gender (see separately issued Gender Discrimination policy for more detail), physical or mental disability, age (18 and over), military status, arrest record, marital status, domestic partnership status, genetic information or predisposing genetic characteristic, sexual orientation, status as a victim or witness of domestic violence, sex offenses or stalking, unemployment status or any other basis protected by applicable federal, state and local laws.