Project Renewal is a non-profit organization with the mission of ending homelessness by empowering men and women struggling with addiction and/or mental illness to rebuild their lives with renewed health, homes, and jobs.
Title: Residential Aide
Program: Ana’s Place
Under the direction of the Residential Aide Supervisor, the Residential Aide is responsible for assisting the clients in learning and performing their daily life skills activities as well as adhering to their program activities and objectives; performs related work.
Ana’s Place is a 108 bed 24/7 emergency shelter for homeless men diagnosed with mental illness and/or substance abuse. Our comprehensive services include case management, individual and group counseling, recreational activities and housing placement assistance. Additionally, an on-site psychiatric team provides services Monday through Friday, staffed by a psychiatrist, nurse practitioner, registered nurse, and a licensed practical nurse.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The essential duties of the Residential Aide but are not limited to the following activities depending on the particular tour of duty:
· Performs the day- to- day monitoring of the residents’ on site activities.
· Wakes the clients in the mornings and as needed, provides clothing and personal care items to clients.
· Ensures that the clients are out of the dormitories by the established time in the morning and not returned until the designated time in the afternoon.
· Reminds clients of their daily schedules, and assists clients with their daily living skills.
· Participates in monthly fire drills in adherence to Fire Department of New York (FDNY) guidelines.
· Processes new client intake information, bed assignment, maintains the daily census records and provides DHS with daily census figures.
· Utilizes CPR/First Aide techniques in emergency situations and conforms to OSHA standards when necessary.
· Observes the behavior of clients and reports any unusual behavior to the case management and clinical staff.
· Oversees the shelter at nights and responds to any requests from the clients who are awake.
· Works collaboratively with the Program Aides in providing crisis intervention in an emergency situation.
· Secures the clients’ personal property.
· Maintains the daily census records.
· Complete electronic shift summaries and incident reports.
· Assists in the Cafeteria with meals being served to clients at breakfast, lunch and dinner.
· Performs other duties as assigned by the Residential Aide Supervisor or other supervisory staff.
Residential Aide Position Description Continued
Job duties generally require the physical activities described below, subject to any necessary reasonable accommodation due to disability. While performing the duties of the position, the Program Aide must be able to walk the block of the exterior of the building, as well as walk the interior of the building to assist clients and to talk to staff in the various program areas. In addition, the Program Aide must be able to walk between two floors of the facility (24 steps), climbing up and down two staircases, in the event the elevator is out of order. Further, the Program Aide must be able to lift or move material and equipment weighing up to 50 pounds, to sit for extended periods of time at the computer, and to bend or squat to retrieve file records.
A High School Diploma or GED.
A minimum of one year of experience working with people diagnosed with mental illness or having a substance abuse addiction, or individuals who have been homeless.
Must have a CPR and Certificate of Fitness for a Fire Guard, F-80, or have it completed within 90 days of starting employment.
Communication: An ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing, and to interface with clients as well as all levels of staff.
Interpersonal skills: An ability to listen attentively to staff and clients and to constructively diffuse a tense or combative situation.
Computer: Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, especially e-mail, Word and EXCEL.
Please, send resume to email@example.com