Project Renewal is a non-profit organization with the mission of ending homelessness by empowering men and women struggling with addiction and/or mental illness to rebuild their lives with renewed health, homes, and jobs.
Title: Case Manager
Program: Fort Washington
The Fort Washington Men’s Shelter is a 200 bed temporary shelter which Project Renewal manages under a contract with the Department of Homeless Services and the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene. Comprehensive psychiatric, medical and case management services are provided to homeless men who have been diagnosed with mental illness and substance abuse.
The Program Director is specifically responsible for the On Site Rehabilitation Services consisting of two approaches-Team PRIDE and Team STEPS. These programs provide assessment and case management services targeted to reduce the length of stay in the shelter and facilitate the transition to community based housing. With a focus on housing placement, individual and group counseling is used to assist clients in enhancing their adult living skills, and connecting to community based healthcare, mental health and substance abuse services.
Under the general direction of the Program Director, the Case Manager is responsible for providing the required assessment, case management, and counseling services to the selected clients to make them able to address their dependencies and assume control of their lives to ultimately live independently and return to permanent or other alternative housing in their communities.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The essential duties of the Case Manager include but are not limited to the following activities:
· Provides case management for a caseload of approximately 25 men.
· Conducts intake and psychosocial and substance abuse assessments of clients.
· In collaboration with the client, prepares and monitors the Individual Case Management Plan for each client; identifying short and short-term objectives to be achieved.
· Inputs client information and updates into the CARES system.
· Counsels clients through individualized and group sessions on issues such achieving personal goals, finding permanent or alternative housing, maintaining sobriety, medication compliance and employment opportunities.
· Identifies services and makes referrals of clients for medical care, substance abuse services, and employment services.
· Maintains liaison with representatives from community organizations and service providers.
· Organize and educate clients through group activities and other events.
· Maintains accurate and up to date written client documentation as required and in accord with city and state guidelines.
· Performs other duties as assigned by the Director.
Available to respond to emergencies on a 24/7/365 basis, especially after normal work hours and on weekends
Job duties generally require the physical activities described below, subject to any necessary reasonable accommodation due to disability. While performing the duties of this position, the Case Manager must on a daily basis walk between the two floors of the facility, climbing up and down any of the three staircases, Staircase A with 24 steps, or Staircase B with 22 steps or Staircase C with 24 steps, in order to meet with or see clients, or other staff members. The Case Manager is also required to sit at the computer for extended periods of time to review the status of clients’ activities, update information about the client. In addition, Case Manager must stand, squat and reach to access the clients’ records and use the filing system.
All candidates must have at least a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university. A Master’s degree in Social Work or other human services field is strongly preferred.
A minimum of three (3) years’ experience working with mentally ill individuals or homeless individuals with either a diagnosis of mental illness or a substance addiction
Communication: Excellent oral, writing and listening skills.
Organizational skills: An ability to work independently and to adjust one’s schedules to accommodate the needs of the clients.
Interpersonal skills: An ability to interface with clients as well as all levels of staff.
Computer skills: Knowledge of case management softwares as well as a proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
To apply: e-mail resume and cover letter indicating position and salary requirements to: email@example.com EOE