Project Renewal is a non-profit organization with the mission of ending homelessness by empowering men and women struggling with addiction and/or mental illness to rebuild their lives with renewed health, homes, and jobs.
Title: Residential Aide Supervisor
Program: Ana’s Place
Under the direction of the Assistant Director/ Shelter Operations, the Residential Aide Supervisor directs a staff of Residential Aides in providing direct assistance to the clients in learning and performing their daily life skills activities, and adhering to their program activities and objectives; performs related work.
Ana’s Place is a 108 bed 24/7 emergency shelter for homeless men diagnosed with mental illness and/or substance abuse. Our comprehensive services include case management, individual and group counseling, recreational activities and housing placement assistance. Additionally, an on-site psychiatric team provides services Monday through Friday, staffed by a psychiatrist, nurse practitioner, registered nurse, and a licensed practical nurse.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The essential duties of the Residential Aide Supervisor include but are not limited to the following activities depending on the on the particular tour of duty:
· As needed, performs any of the duties of the Residential Aide which include assisting the clients in their daily tasks and helping them to adhere to their daily schedules, and ensuring they are participating in their scheduled activities.
· Ensures that adequate staff of Residential Aides is available to perform the prescribed duties on each shift.
· Communicates with clinical staff regarding any shift issues affecting the clients, and shares any observations on the behavior of the clients that might be useful to the team.
· Conducts monthly fire drills in adherence to Fire Department of New York (FDNY) guidelines.
· Assists in the Cafeteria with meals being served to clients at breakfast, lunch and dinner.
· Works collaboratively with the clinical staff regarding monitoring residents’ appointments and schedules.
· Reviews the Log Book of the previous tour to become familiar with any incidents or any activities that require follow-up on the current shift.
· Ensures that any incident is recorded in the Log Book, but especially that priority incidents are recorded, and the appropriate management staff is notified.
· Completes electronic shift summaries and incident reports.
· Distributes linen to new clients and prepares used or soiled linens for transport to the laundry services.
· Performs other duties as assigned by the Assistant Director/ Shelter Operations or other supervisory staff.
Job duties generally require the physical activities described below, subject to any necessary reasonable accommodation due to disability. While performing the duties of the position, the Program Aide must be able to walk the block of the exterior of the building, as well as walk the interior of the building to assist clients and to talk to staff in the various program areas. In addition, the Program Aide must be able to walk between two floors of the facility (24 steps), climbing up and down two staircases, in the event the elevator is out of order. Further, the Program Aide must be able to lift or move material and equipment weighing up to 50 pounds, to sit for extended periods of time at the computer, and to bend or squat to retrieve file records.
A High School Diploma or GED.
A minimum of two years of experience working with people diagnosed with mental illness or having a substance abuse addiction. One year of the required experience must have been in a supervisory capacity.
Must have a CPR and Certificate of Fitness for a Fire Guard, F-80, or have it completed within 90 days of starting employment.
Team Building: An ability to work with entry level staff to enhance their skills to work cooperatively with their peers and other staff in order to serve the needs of the clients.
Communication: An ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
Interpersonal skills: An ability to listen attentively to staff and clients and to constructively diffuse a tense or combative situation.
Computer: Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, especially e-mail, WORD, and EXCEL.
To apply: e-mail resume with cover letter indicating position and salary requirements: firstname.lastname@example.org