Project Renewal is a non-profit organization with the mission of ending homelessness by empowering men and women struggling with addiction and/or mental illness to rebuild their lives with renewed health, homes, and jobs.
Title: Residential Aide
Program: Fort Washington
The Fort Washington Men’s Shelter is a 200 bed temporary shelter which Project Renewal manages under a contract with the Department of Homeless Services and the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene. Comprehensive psychiatric, medical and case management services are provided to homeless men who have been diagnosed with mental illness and substance abuse.
Under the direction of the Residential Aide Supervisor, the Residential Aide is responsible for assisting the clients in learning and performing their daily life skills activities as well as adhering to their program activities and objectives; performs related work.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The essential duties of the Residential Aide but are not limited to the following activities depending on the particular tour of duty:
· Performs the day- to- day monitoring of the residents’ on site activities.
· Wakes the clients in the mornings and as needed, provides clothing and personal care items to clients.
· Ensures that the clients are out of the dorms by the established time in the morning and not returned until the designated time in the afternoon.
· Reminds clients of their daily schedules.
· On Tuesdays, participates in the removal of linens from the beds and prepares them for pick-up by the vendor providing laundry services.
· Assists the vocational and recreational staff in conducting activities and in escorting clients on trips.
· Observes the behavior of clients and reports any unusual behavior to the case management and clinical staff.
· Supervises the dormitory at nights and responds to any requests from the clients who are awake.
· Works collaboratively with the Program Aides in providing crisis intervention in an emergency situation.
· Secures the clients’ personal property and maintains an inventory of their belongings.
· Maintains the cleanliness of the mockup Room used to train clients in performing their daily living skills activities.
· Maintains the daily census records.
· Assists in the Cafeteria with meals being served to clients at breakfast, lunch and dinner.
· Performs other duties as assigned by the Residential Aide Supervisor or other supervisory staff.
Job duties generally require the physical activities described below, subject to any necessary reasonable accommodations due to disability. While performing the duties of the position, the Residential Aide is required on a daily basis to walk the floors of the facility and to go up and down any of the three staircases, Staircase A with 24 steps, or Staircase B with 22 steps or Staircase C with 24 steps, during the tour in order to respond to clients’ needs; to stand frequently in response to clients’ issues; sit for extended periods of time to enter data into the computer system and prepare reports for supervisory staff.
A High School Diploma or GED.
A minimum of one year of experience working with people diagnosed with mental illness or having a substance abuse addiction, individuals who have been homeless.
Must obtain F-80 Certificate of Fitness for Coordinator of Fire Safety and Alarm Systems for Shelters, within two attempts of scheduled exam. Certificate of Fitness must be maintained throughout employment and renewed every three years.
Communication: An ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing, and to interface with clients as well as all levels of staff.
Interpersonal skills: An ability to listen attentively to staff and clients and to constructively diffuse a tens or combative situation.
Computer: Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
To apply: E-mail resume and cover letter indicating position and salary requirements to: email@example.com EOE.