Project Renewal is a leading nonprofit organization known for a creative and entrepreneurial approach to ending homelessness in New York City. Our programs empower homeless and at-risk men, women and children by giving them everything they need to attain health, homes, and jobs. Through innovative, exhaustive, wraparound social services, Project Renewal addresses the needs of 15,000 clients each year. We meet the most vulnerable New Yorker's where they are and provide them with the tools they need, buttressing their capacity to live independently.
Clinton Residence is a transitional treatment facility licensed and regulated by the NYS Office of Mental Health. The facility provides transitional housing for 57 formerly homeless, single adults with chronic mental illness, some of whom are dully diagnosed with a substance abuse disorder.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The essential duties of the Custodian include, but are not limited to the following activities:
- Reports to Building Superintendent for all assignments
- Responsible for cleaning and disinfecting all commons areas and offices, including bathrooms, stairwells and hallways, to ensure that the building is kept clean
- Assist in preparing apartments for new residents and with move in/ out process
- Assist Building Super as directed in minor repairs and correcting potential safety hazards as needed
- Empty trash and garbage containers and prepare refuse for pick-up
- Keep building exterior in safe and presentable condition, including ice/ snow removal; sidewalk maintenance and central garden/ courtyard area
- Under supervision of Building Super, develop building-wide knowledge of all mechanical system operation and maintenance
- Assist in documentation of fire drills smoke detector/ CO2 detector maintenance
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Program Director or Clinical Director
Experience and Requirements
- One year of experience working in a residential program serving individuals with mental illness and chemical addictions preferred.
- A High School diploma or GED is preferred.
Project Renewal is an equal opportunity employer. Our long-standing policy has been to embrace the equality of opportunity for all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, age, citizenship status, disability, marital or veteran status, or any other protective basis to the extent required by applicable federal, state and local laws