Project Renewal is a leading nonprofit organization known for a creative and entrepreneurial approach to ending homelessness in New York City. Our programs empower homeless and at-risk men, women and children by giving them everything they need to attain health, homes, and jobs. Through innovative, exhaustive, wraparound social services, Project Renewal addresses the needs of 15,000 clients each year. We meet the most vulnerable New Yorker’s where they are and provide them with the tools they need, buttressing their capacity to live independently.
East Third Street is an emergency men’s shelter which helps 175 individuals with substance abuse histories work towards health, sobriety, and, ultimately, permanent housing and employment. In addition to lodging and three meals a day, clients receive comprehensive case management services, plus an array of on-site substance abuse related and health care services provided by different programs; such as Medically Supervised Outpatient Withdrawal Services (MSOWS); Chemical Dependency Crisis Service (CDCS), and Outpatient Recovery Center.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The essential duties of the Housing Coordinator include but are not limited to the following activities:
· Utilizing vacancy rosters provided by many housing providers, identifies vacancies throughout the five boroughs and selects possible housing options to which clients can apply for placement.
· Reviews, in collaboration with the Case Managers, the application package for each client to be sure documents are complete and the psychological evaluation is current.
· Assists the client in submitting the application to the housing provider, and performs appropriate follow-up on submitted application.
· Conducts weekly individualized and group meetings for clients, focusing on housing placement issues and guiding them through the housing application process.
· Prepares clients for housing interviews, conducting mock interviews sessions, accompanies them on tours of facilities, and in general coordinates and facilitates the referral process.
· Coordinates escort services for groups of clients going for housing placement interviews.
· Conducts weekly on-site housing workshops.
· Maintains and participates in the weekly Partners for Permanency (PAP) case management conferences.
· Performs other duties as assigned by the Shelter Director.
Education and Skills:
· A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university, but a Master’s degree in Social Work is preferred.
· A minimum of three (3) years of progressively responsible experience working with homeless adults with substance and illicit drug abuse issues with objectives toward securing permanent housing for them.
· Knowledge of low income housing in New York City as well as special needs housing, including the NY/NY Supportive Housing and Section 8 housing.
· Knowledge of case management software as well as a proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, especially Word and EXCEL
To apply: Submit resume and cover letter indicating position and salary requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Project Renewal is an equal opportunity employer. Our long-standing policy has been to embrace the equality of opportunity for all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, age, citizenship status, disability, marital or veteran status, or any other protective basis to the extent required by applicable federal, state and local laws.