Project Renewal is a leading nonprofit organization known for a creative and entrepreneurial approach to ending homelessness in New York City. Our programs empower homeless and at-risk men, women and children by giving them everything they need to attain health, homes, and jobs. Through innovative, exhaustive, wraparound social services, Project Renewal addresses the needs of 15,000 clients each year. We meet the most vulnerable New Yorker’s where they are and provide them with the tools they need, buttressing their capacity to live independently.
Title: Residential Aide
Program: Ana’s Place
Ana’s Place is a 108 bed 24/7 emergency shelter for homeless men diagnosed with mental illness and/or substance abuse. Our comprehensive services include case management, individual and group counseling, recreational activities and housing placement assistance. Additionally, an on-site psychiatric team provides services Monday through Friday, staffed by a psychiatrist, nurse practitioner, registered nurse, and a licensed practical nurse.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The essential duties of the Residential Aide but are not limited to the following activities depending on the particular tour of duty:
· Performs the day- to- day monitoring of the residents’ on site activities.
· Wakes the clients in the mornings and as needed, provides clothing and personal care items to clients.
· Ensures that the clients are out of the dormitories by the established time in the morning and not returned until the designated time in the afternoon.
· Reminds clients of their daily schedules, and assists clients with their daily living skills.
· Processes new client intake information, bed assignment, maintains the daily census records and provides DHS with daily census figures.
· Observes the behavior of clients and reports any unusual behavior to the case management and clinical staff.
· Oversees the shelter at nights and responds to any requests from the clients who are awake.
· Works collaboratively with the Program Aides in providing crisis intervention in an emergency situation.
· Secures the clients’ personal property.
· Maintains the daily census records.
· Complete electronic shift summaries and incident reports.
· Assists in the Cafeteria with meals being served to clients at breakfast, lunch and dinner.
· Performs other duties as assigned by the Residential Aide Supervisor or other supervisory staff.
Education and Skills
· A High School Diploma or GED
· A minimum of one year of experience working with people diagnosed with mental illness or having a substance abuse addiction, or individuals who have been homeless.
· Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, especially e-mail, Word and Excel.
Must have a CPR and Certificate of Fitness for a Fire Guard, F-80, or have it completed within 90 days of starting employment.
To apply: e-mail resume with cover letter indicating position and salary requirements: firstname.lastname@example.org
Project Renewal is an equal opportunity employer. Our long-standing policy has been to embrace the equality of opportunity for all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, age, citizenship status, disability, marital or veteran status, or any other protective basis to the extent required by applicable federal, state and local laws.