Project Renewal is a leading nonprofit organization known for a creative and entrepreneurial approach to ending homelessness in New York City. Our programs empower homeless and at-risk men, women and children by giving them everything they need to attain health, homes, and jobs. Through innovative, exhaustive, wraparound social services, Project Renewal addresses the needs of 15,000 clients each year. We meet the most vulnerable New Yorker’s where they are and provide them with the tools they need, buttressing their capacity to live independently.
Geffner House is a 307 unit supportive Single Room Occupancy (SRO) building that provides permanent housing for low income men and women, including people with serious and persistent mental illness; individuals who are recovering from drug or alcohol addiction; and people who are living with HIV/AIDS. Tenants are offered a comprehensive array of services.
Under the direction of the two Clinical Coordinators-Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services, the Case Manager is responsible for providing assessments, counseling, and referral services to the tenants living in the building who are people with persistent mental illnesses, individuals who are recovering from drug/alcohol addiction and those living with either HIV or AIDS; performs related work. This is a perfect opportunity for someone who wants to complete clinical hours towards their LCSW and/or CASAC.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The essential duties of the Case Manager include but are not limited to the following activities:
· Provides intake, psychosocial and substance abuse assessments to tenants and develops an appropriate treatment plan for each tenant in the assigned caseload.
· Makes home visits, coordinates medical, psychiatric and substance abuse services.
· Monitors medication compliance as necessary.
· Maintains up to date written information or case notes on contacts with the tenants and any other required information, and enters all contacts and interventions into the FOOTHOLD/AWARDS system.
· Conducts individual and group supportive counseling sessions.
· Organizes and educates tenants through groups and other activities presenting issues of interest to the tenants such as money management, employment opportunities etc.
· Links tenants to community services.
· Performs other duties as assigned by supervisory staff.
Education and Skills
1. A Master’s degree in social work, psychology, or related human services field from an accredited college or university; or
2. A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college in social work, psychology or related human services field will be considered with commensurate work experience.
3. A minimum of one (1) year of experience working with a special needs population, especially individuals with a history of homelessness and mental illness or substance addiction. Many of our tenants are dually diagnosed.
- Knowledge of case management software, and proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, especially WORD, e-mail and EXCEL.
- Fluency in Spanish is a plus.
Project Renewal is an equal opportunity employer. Our long-standing policy has been to embrace the equality of opportunity for all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, age, citizenship status, disability, marital or veteran status, or any other protective basis to the extent required by applicable federal, state and local laws.