Project Renewal is a leading nonprofit organization known for a creative and entrepreneurial approach to ending homelessness in New York City. Our programs empower homeless and at-risk men, women and children by giving them everything they need to attain health, homes, and jobs. Through innovative, exhaustive, wraparound social services, Project Renewal addresses the needs of 15,000 clients each year. We meet the most vulnerable New Yorker's where they are and provide them with the tools they need, buttressing their capacity to live independently.
The Fort Washington Men’s Shelter is a 200 bed 24/7 emergency shelter for homeless men diagnosed with mental illness and/or substance abuse. In addition to on-site rehabilitation services, our comprehensive services include case management, individual and group counseling, recreational activities and housing placement assistance. Additionally, an on-site medical, psychiatric and dental clinic operates Monday through Friday.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The essential duties of the Custodian include but are not limited to the following activities:
· Per an assigned schedule sweeps and dusts designated areas; mops, cleans, and disinfects the floors, and other common areas, including bathrooms, dormitories/sleeping areas, lounges, recreation areas, the library and the dining room of the shelter.
· Performs vacuuming of carpeted areas and light dusting in Office spaces.
· Performs minor painting and wiping of the walls on the exterior and interior of the shelter.
· Empties trash as well as prepares refuse or recyclable materials for pick up.
· Sweeps and picks up material in order to keep the entrance ways, driveways and sidewalks of the shelter clean, clear and free of hazards.
· As needed, performs snow and ice removal of the exterior of the shelter.
· Performs other duties as assigned by the Building Manager or other supervisory staff.
Education and Skills
· There are no formal education requirements for this position
· A minimum of six months of experience doing repair and maintenance work
· Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
To apply: e-mail resume and cover letter indicating position and salary requirements to:
Project Renewal is an equal opportunity employer. Our long-standing policy has been to embrace the equality of opportunity for all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, age, citizenship status, disability, marital or veteran status, or any other protective basis to the extent required by applicable federal, state and local laws.