Project Renewal is a leading nonprofit organization known for a creative and entrepreneurial approach to ending homelessness in New York City. Our programs empower homeless and at-risk men, women and children by giving them everything they need to attain health, homes, and jobs. Through innovative, exhaustive, wraparound social services, Project Renewal addresses the needs of 15,000 clients each year. We meet the most vulnerable New Yorkers where they are and provide them with the tools they need, buttressing their capacity to live independently.
The Fort Washington Men’s Shelter is a 200 bed 24/7 emergency shelter for homeless men diagnosed with mental illness and/or substance abuse. In addition to on-site rehabilitation services, our comprehensive services include case management, individual and group counseling, recreational activities and housing placement assistance. Additionally, an on-site medical, psychiatric and dental clinic operates Monday through Friday.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The essential duties of the Program Aide include but are not limited to the following activities depending on the particular tour of duty:
· Operates the security equipment at the entry point, scanning and searching the residents and their belongings upon entering the shelter.
· Assists in the conduct of locker searches as well as searches of other areas of the shelter occupied by the clients.
· Makes a tour of the entire premises to record and identify any fire safety issues.
· Assists in the conduct of the regularly scheduled fire drills.
· Observes the behavior of the clients and reports any unusual behavior or perceived violations of the rules to the appropriate staff.
· Assists in providing crisis intervention in any emergency situation.
· Performs escort services for clients as assigned by supervisory staff.
· Performs any other duties assigned by the Program Aide Supervisor or other supervisory staff.
Education/ Experience Requirements
· A High school Diploma or GED
· A minimum of one year of experience working with individuals who are diagnosed with mental illness or who have a substance abuse addiction
· Must have knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
· Must obtain Fire Guard certification (F-02) within 90 days of employment in this position
· Must keep Fire Guard certification (F-02) up-to-date and active while employed in this position
To apply, submit your resume with a cover letter indicating position and salary requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org