Project Renewal is a leading nonprofit organization known for a creative and entrepreneurial approach to ending homelessness in New York City. Our programs empower homeless and at-risk men, women and children by giving them everything they need to attain health, homes, and jobs. Through innovative, exhaustive, wraparound social services, Project Renewal addresses the needs of 15,000 clients each year. We meet the most vulnerable New Yorkers where they are and provide them with the tools they need, buttressing their capacity to live independently.
East Third Street is an emergency men’s shelter which helps 175 individuals with substance abuse histories work towards health, sobriety, and, ultimately, permanent housing and employment. In addition to lodging and three meals a day, clients receive comprehensive case management services, plus an array of on-site substance abuse related and health care services provided by different programs; such as Medically Supervised Outpatient Withdrawal Services, (MSOWS), Chemical Dependency Crisis Service (CDCS), and Outpatient Recovery Center.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Depending upon, shift, the essential duties of the Residential Aide include but are not limited to the following activities:
· Assists in the day to day operations of a 175 bed shelter for men with substance abuse problems.
· Processes new client intake information, bed assignment, maintains the daily census records and provides DHS with daily census figures.
· As needed, provides clothing and personal care items to clients.
· Distributes mail, appointment slips and other documentation to clients.
· Writes detailed incident reports regarding client activity and the condition of the entire shelter building.
· Conducts searches of client lockers, when needed.
· Conducts client pack-ups and property return.
· Manages CARES, the DHS client database
· Participates in trainings and monthly staff meetings.
· Utilizes CPR/First Aide techniques in emergency situations and conforms to OSHA standards when necessary.
· Available to work overtime, weekends, and holidays.
· Performs other related duties as assigned by the Residential Aide Supervisor.
· Must enforce Fire Safety Plan
Education and Skills Requirements
· High School diploma or GED. If in recovery, must have at least one (1) year of sobriety and have a sober support network.
· Some familiarity with substance abuse services environment and population.
· Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
· Bilingual in Spanish or Polish a plus.
Certificates and Credentials
· Fire Guard certification F-02 or Fire Safety Coordinator F-80
To apply, submit your resume with a cover letter indicating position and salary requirements to: email@example.com
Project Renewal is an equal opportunity employer. Our long-standing policy has been to embrace the equality of opportunity for all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, age, citizenship status, disability, marital or veteran status, or any other protective basis to the extent required by applicable federal, state and local laws.