Project Renewal is a leading non-profit organization with the mission of ending the cycle of homelessness by empowering men, women and children to renew their lives with health, homes, and jobs. Our comprehensive and integrated 24/7 programs are designed to offer the holistic care our clients need. With a staff of 950+ and an annual budget of $82 million, Project Renewal is one of the larger social service nonprofits in New York City.
Title: Patient Navigator/ Driver
Program: East Williamsburg Men’s Shelter
East Williamsburg Men’s Shelter is an emergency men’s shelter which helps 98- 140 individuals ages 55 and up with substance abuse histories work towards health, sobriety, and, ultimately, permanent housing and employment. In addition to lodging and three meals a day, clients receive comprehensive case management services, plus an array of substance abuse related and health care services provided by different programs; such as Medically Supervised Outpatient Withdrawal Services (MSOWS); Chemical Dependency Crisis Service (CDCS), and Outpatient Recovery Center available to them throughout the agency.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The essential duties of the Patient Navigator include but are not limited to the following activities:
- Identify, refer and schedule clients in need of services including substance abuse treatment, psychiatric services, physical exams, tuberculosis screening, HIV testing and screening and treatment of chronic illnesses.
- With authorized use of the agency van, transport clients to scheduled medical, housing and other related appointments.
- Provide individual and group counseling and support services to program participants.
- Work with the clinical and medical team to arrange medical appointments, confirm appointments and all other activities required to improve client compliance.
- Work with patients who have complex medical illness requiring frequent appointments in clinic and to specialists, including assisting with transportation and obtaining records from outside medical providers.
- Work with the clinical and medical team to assist residents with enrollment in Medicaid.
- Facilitate communication between clinics and all team members regarding health issues of shelter residents.
- Track client hospitalizations and follow up with local hospitals for clients who have been admitted for over 24 hours.
Education and Skills Requirements
· Bachelor’s Degree preferred
· NY State Driver’s License without points
· Minimum one (1) year experience in a social service or health care setting preferred
· Intermediate keyboarding and computer literacy
· Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
· Bilingual or multilingual a plus
To apply, submit your resume with a cover letter indicating position and salary requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Project Renewal is an equal opportunity employer. Its long-standing policy has been to embrace the equality of opportunity for all employees and applicants without regard to actual or perceived race, color, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, religion or creed, gender (see separately issued Gender Discrimination policy for more detail), physical or mental disability, age (18 and over), military status, arrest record, marital status, domestic partnership status, genetic information or predisposing genetic characteristic, sexual orientation, status as a victim or witness of domestic violence, sex offenses or stalking, unemployment status or any other basis protected by applicable federal, state and local laws.