Project Renewal is a leading non-profit organization with the mission of ending the cycle of homelessness by empowering individuals and families to renew their lives with health, homes, and jobs. Our comprehensive and integrated 24/7 programs are designed to offer the holistic care our clients need. With a staff of 950+ and an annual budget of $82 million, Project Renewal is one of the larger social service nonprofits in New York City.
Title: Building Manager
Program: New Providence Women’s Shelter
The New Providence Women’s Shelter is a 130 bed 24/7 emergency shelter for homeless women diagnosed with mental illness and/or substance use disorders. Our comprehensive services include case management, individual and group counseling, recreational activities and housing placement assistance. Additionally, an on-site Article 28 Clinic provides primary and behavioral health care services.
Under the general direction of the Shelter Director, and the Corporate Director of Facilities with latitude for independent action and decision making, the Building Manager is responsible for hands-on involvement and direction of the custodial staff in performing all repair and maintenance work in the interior and, as needed, the exterior of the building.
Building Manager-Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The essential duties of the Building Manager include but are not limited to the following activities:
· Supervises, directs, demonstrates for, and works with the custodial staff and facilities team members to perform daily tasks in response to work requests from staff and clients.
· Provides on-site training to custodial staff to enable them to properly perform the myriad of work to be done.
· Ensures that staff is maintaining the conditions on the exterior of the building
· Coordinates the completion of all work to be done in the shelter in anticipation of the thorough inspection
· Oversees the proper functioning of the building’s boiler, ensuring that any needed repairs are completed as quickly as possible and that 6 month inspections are performed and recorded.
· Monitors the use of the technical contracts that have been issued for selected repair and maintenance work, utilizing these when emergencies occur, especially plumbing and electrical situations.
· Ensures that any repair work being done by outside contractors is monitored by shelter staff and inspected prior to the work being accepted and processed for payment.
· Prepares requisitions for supplies and equipment and maintains an adequate inventory so staff can have needed goods and materials to perform the requested work.
· Routinely checks all areas of the shelter to prevent the issuance of any violations from staff from any city, or state agencies
· Completes corrective action plans for all building/maintenance inspection citations issued against the shelter.
· Available to respond to emergencies on a 24x7x365 basis, especially in the evenings, nights and or on the weekends.
1. Bachelor of Arts Degree and a minimum of four (4)years of progressively responsible experience working in building maintenance, repair, and, management, including at least one (1) year experience supervising maintenance or custodial workers.
2. Associates degree with a minimum of six (6) years of progressively responsible experience; or High School Diploma or equivalent and a minimum of eight (8) years of progressively responsible experience working in building maintenance, repair management, including one (1) year experience supervising maintenance or custodial workers.
3. Proficiency in of Microsoft Office Suite, especially e-mail, WORD and EXCEL.
4. Bilingual or multilingual a plus.
Certificates and Credentials:
A Fire Guard certification-F-02 or Fire Safety Coordinator F-80, Certificate of Fitness for Standpipe/Sprinkler Maintenance, S-12 and S-13 , S95, P99, OSHA 10 AND OSHA 30
To apply, submit your resume with a cover letter indicating position and salary requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org