Project Renewal is a leading non-profit organization with the mission of ending the cycle of homelessness by empowering men, women and children to renew their lives with health, homes, and jobs. Our comprehensive and integrated 24/7 programs are designed to offer the holistic care our clients need.
Title: Engagement Specialist
Program: East Third Street Men’s Shelter
East Third Street is an emergency men’s shelter which helps 175 individuals with substance abuse histories work towards health, sobriety, and, ultimately, permanent housing and employment. In addition to lodging and three meals a day, clients receive comprehensive case management services, plus an array of on-site substance abuse related and health care services provided by different programs such as Medically Supervised Outpatient Withdrawal Services, (MSOWS), Chemical Dependency Crisis Service (CDCS), and Outpatient Recovery Center.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The essential duties of the Engagement Specialist include but are not limited to the following activities:
· Act as a liaison between Third Street Men’s shelter, NYPD, DHSPD, DHS, some aspects of Community Government and other local Agencies to reduce loitering on the neighborhood streets.
· Conduct community walk-throughs and engage current Third Street clients about loitering on the neighboring streets and parks.
· Alert DHS’ Outreach team of known street homeless individuals.
· Enforce adherence with the Good Neighbor Policy by issuing verbal and written warnings reminding clients of their compliance responsibilities regarding the facility policies.
· Engage challenging clients to participate in service planning and housing search processes.
· Maintains accurate and up to date written client documentation as required by and in accordance with city and state oversight agency guidelines.
· Act as a “Champion” for the overdose prevention program which includes providing ongoing overdose prevention trainings to clients and staff and engaging clients after overdose.
· Complete monthly Overdose prevention reporting for DOH, DHMH and DHS.
· Communicates with the Social Services team to discuss client concerns.
· Participates in case conferences in response to client complaints, using conflict resolution techniques to amicably resolve issues.
· Bachelor’s Degree and a minimum of two years’ experience in human services, consulting, evaluation, homeless services, quality assurance, or related field.
· Experience working with adults with mental health and/or substance use issues, preferably in homeless shelters or supportive housing.
· Knowledge in Harm Reduction
· Ability to become a Certified Trainer in Opioid Overdose Prevention
· Strong quantitative and Microsoft Excel skills.
· Bilingual or multilingual a plus.
To apply: E-mail resume and cover letter indicating position and salary requirements to email@example.com
Project Renewal is an equal opportunity employer. Its long-standing policy has been to embrace the equality of opportunity for all employees and applicants without regard to actual or perceived race, color, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, religion or creed, gender (see separately issued Gender Discrimination policy for more detail), physical or mental disability, age (18 and over), military status, arrest record, marital status, domestic partnership status, genetic information or predisposing genetic characteristic, sexual orientation, status as a victim or witness of domestic violence, sex offenses or stalking, unemployment status or any other basis protected by applicable federal, state and local laws.