Project Renewal is a leading non-profit organization with the mission of ending the cycle of homelessness by empowering men, women and children to renew their lives with health, homes, and jobs. Our comprehensive and integrated 24/7 programs are designed to offer the holistic care our clients need. With a staff of 950+ and an annual budget of $82 million, Project Renewal is one of the larger social service nonprofits in New York City.
Title: Recreation Specialist
Program: East Third Street Men’s Shelter/Kenton Hall Shelter
East Third Street and Kenton Hall are emergency men’s shelters which combined helps 283 individuals with substance abuse histories work towards health, sobriety, and, ultimately, permanent housing and employment. In addition to lodging and three meals a day, clients receive comprehensive case management services, plus an array of on-site substance abuse related and health care services provided by different programs such as Medically Supervised Outpatient Withdrawal Services, (MSOWS), Chemical Dependency Crisis Service (CDCS), and Outpatient Recovery Center.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The essential duties of the Recreation Specialist include but are not limited to the following activities:
· Organize, lead, and promote interest in recreational activities such as arts, crafts, sports, games, on-site tournaments and other leisure time activities
· Meet with clients regularly to ascertain and interpret client interests and develop activities to meet their interests
· Complete and maintain time and attendance forms
· Document client participation in recreational activities in client’s case records
· Meet and collaborate with agency personnel, community organizations, NYC Parks Department and other professional personnel to plan balanced recreational programs for participants
· Escort clients to recreational activities and other relevant events
· Communicates with the Social Services team to discuss client concerns or client’s progress.
· BA or AA degree with a minimum of 2 years’ experience working in human services field
· Valid New York State Driver's License a plus.
· Experience working with people with co-occurring substance abuse and mental illness.
· Knowledge of case management software as well as Microsoft Office Suite.
· Bilingual or multilingual a plus.
To apply: e-mail resume with cover letter indicating position and salary requirements to: email@example.com
Project Renewal is an equal opportunity employer. Its long-standing policy has been to embrace the equality of opportunity for all employees and applicants without regard to actual or perceived race, color, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, religion or creed, gender (see separately issued Gender Discrimination policy for more detail), physical or mental disability, age (18 and over), military status, arrest record, marital status, domestic partnership status, genetic information or predisposing genetic characteristic, sexual orientation, status as a victim or witness of domestic violence, sex offenses or stalking, unemployment status or any other basis protected by applicable federal, state and local laws.