Project Renewal is a leading non-profit organization with the mission of ending the cycle of homelessness by empowering individuals and families to renew their lives with health, homes, and jobs. Our comprehensive and integrated 24/7 programs are designed to offer the holistic care our clients need. With a staff of 950+ and an annual budget of $82 million, Project Renewal is one of the larger social service nonprofits in New York City.
Position: Director of Development
The Director of Development is the professional who leads and cultivates Project Renewal’s fundraising, grant sourcing and writing, marketing and communications efforts. Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer [CEO], the Director is a key member of the Senior Management Team. The Director works closely with the President and CEO, COO, Board of Directors and other Senior Managers. S/he supervises the Development Team, interns and volunteers.
· Partnering with the CEO, the COO, and the Board of Directors to develop and execute all aspects of Project Renewal’s fundraising strategy
· Creation and implementation of a formal, multi-year fundraising plan for increasing contributed revenue.
· Develop fundraising and marketing plans to engage foundations, government and corporate grants, major gifts, capital campaigns, special events, planned giving, and volunteer outreach using such tool as online campaigns, mail and social media solicitations, marketing, public relations and print communications.
· Develop and implement an aggressive acquisition, cultivation and recognition strategy to increase the recruitment, retention and increased giving rates of new funders, Trustees, major donors, foundations and corporations.
· Provide tools and training (where needed) to assist the Board of Directors with outreach, relationship building and donor cultivation.
· Strategically leverage the time and connections of the CEO, Board of Directors, and other Senior Staff to steward donors and close gifts and achieve fundraising targets.
· Work with grant writers [outsourced & internal] and Program Staff to prepare and review grant proposals and reports to public agencies, foundations and corporations.
· Monitor and report on the progress of funded projects and analyzing outcomes.
· Oversee prospective donor research; coordinate funder and prospective funder visits and briefings.
· Facilitate meetings with internal and external stakeholders, determining next steps and driving results.
· Oversee the development and design of fundraising solicitations, donor communications, press releases and marketing materials creating an integrated communications program including digital engagement, media relations and brand building and oversight of the PRI website.
· Oversee all aspects of the Annual Gala, assisting the Board and President & CEO to identify potential honorees, co-chairs and donors.
· Supports and directs the Special Events Director in the planning and coordination of cultivation events and other fundraising activities.
· Provides guidance and leadership to the Development Team and sets high performance standards.
· Develops and presents detailed analysis and data-driven reports to the Board Development Committee, Senior Management and funders, as requested.
· Optimizes use of current technology and donor databases and develops recommendations to improve PRI’s fundraising data management
· Represent Project Renewal at philanthropic forums and events.
· BA degree. Master’s degree preferred.
· Commitment to and passion for the mission, vision and values of Project Renewal.
· Broad understanding of and interest in all aspects of fundraising and communications.
· Minimum of 7 years of successful, progressive experience in fundraising. Emphasis on developing brand, messages and channels to grow individual giving, special events and the ability to guide and oversee relations with foundations and corporations.
· Successful track record with major gifts and a demonstrated record in the design and implementation of a
major gifts program and stewardship strategies.
· Demonstrated success with foundation, corporation, government and individual fundraising.
· Experience using donor management software.
· Demonstrated management experience for the successful leadership and mentoring of staff. Strong delegation and team-building skills
· Experience working with budgets and budget projections.
· Must be comfortable working with people of diverse backgrounds, interests and experience.
· Strategic planning experience highly desirable.
· Comfort serving both as an external face of the organization and working internally to build systems that
support organizational and departmental growth.
· Ability to work independently, as well as collaboratively as part of team, and manage multiple projects effectively.
To Apply:Submit a resume and cover letter indicating position and salary requirements to: email@example.com
Project Renewal is an equal opportunity employer. Its long-standing policy has been to embrace the equality of opportunity for all employees and applicants without regard to actual or perceived race, color, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, religion or creed, gender (see separately issued Gender Discrimination policy for more detail), physical or mental disability, age (18 and over), military status, arrest record, marital status, domestic partnership status, genetic information or predisposing genetic characteristic, sexual orientation, status as a victim or witness of domestic violence, sex offenses or stalking, unemployment status or any other basis protected by applicable federal, state and local laws.