Title: Entitlements Coordinator/ Benefits Advocate
Renewal House provides subsidized housing and supportive services to 50 formerly homeless men in a congregate care setting; participants have been diagnosed with a substance use disorder and have completed or are engaged in treatment. Staff offer supports designed to increase participants’ quality of life and help them move to more independent housing in the community. Working with Case Managers, a Vocational/Housing Specialist, and the Program Director, the Advocate will help clients access public benefits that include but are not limited to: public assistance, SNAP, public health insurance, and federal disability benefits.
The advocate will receive training related to public benefits in New York City and providing person-centered care in this population; he or she will also receive ongoing task based and clinical supervision. Additionally, each staff person at Renewal House designs and facilitates a weekly client group. While most work will occur during normal business hours, the Advocate will work from 11am-7pm one day per week to reach clients who might be unavailable during the day.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The essential duties of the Entitlement Coordinator include but are not limited to the following activities
· Interest in working with people who have been homeless and who are likely to be experiencing or have experienced addiction, trauma and physical and mental health issues;
· A patient, cooperative, non-judgmental stance;
· Thorough independent research. Applicants must be able to seek out, make sense of, and accurately apply large bodies of information, including laws and policy documents;
· Clear, effective verbal and written communication with diverse audiences;
· The ability to seek and use supervision;
· The ability to understand and maintain professional boundaries; and,
· Excellent time management skills, accountability to deadlines, and the ability to see both short and long term projects through to completion
· A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university; or Associate’s degree and one year of relevant experience such as working with vulnerable population ; or High School Diploma or GED and two years of relevant experience.
· Spanish fluency is preferred
· Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint
To apply: e-mail resume with cover letter indicating position and salary requirements: firstname.lastname@example.org