Under the direction of the Director of Facilities Management, the Carpenter Lead serves as the principal agent of the Director of Facilities Management, by directing vendors as well as performing all the work needed to maintain a clean and code-compliant building; performs related work for Project Renewal and Affiliate Corporation.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The essential duties of the Carpenter Lead include but are not limited to the following activities:
· Works closely with the Maintenance Staff, Building Managers, and Program Directors to ensure the maintenance and operation of shelters and residential facilities, from basement to roof.
· Completes written and verbal requests for work from building managers in a timely manner
· Perform carpentry work including sheet rocking, plastering, framing, taping and paining of designated areas of the building.
· Install ceramic/ VCT floor tiles
· Install commercial locks
· Repair roof leaks
· Repair broken ceiling grid system
· Install new ceiling tiles
· Shape or cut materials to specified measurements using power tools
· Personally performs difficult repairs in a timely manner.
· Should be aware of possible exposure, while performing duties, to unsanitary conditions, unpleasant odors and hazardous concentrated chemicals, and be prepared to respond with the applicable protocols for ensuring the safety of self, staff, and clients.
· Performs tasks as needed to assist the Director of Facilities Management and Assistant Director of Facilities Management in the completion of their work, initiates and arranges for service of the building systems through outside contractors, and assists in supervising the work until completion.
· In the absence of the Assistant Director of Facilities assumes all of his duties and responsibilities
· Maintain up to date and accurate records of work orders
· Available for on-call response to emergencies on a 24x7 basis
· Performs other duties as assigned by the Director of Facilities.
While performing the duties of this position, the Carpenter Lead is regularly required to walk throughout the buildings. In the event the elevator is out of order, the Carpenter Lead must walk between the floors of the facilities, sub-basement to roof, climbing up and down the staircases in order to observe vendors and tend to building needs. Furthermore, the Carpenter Lead must stand to talk to staff, sit for extended periods of time at the computer, bend, reach or squat to get records from the files or when addressing building needs, climb and work from ladders of 2 to 16 feet in height also climb fixed access ladder, work from multi-purpose scaffold, and be able to lift and or move packages as well as furniture and equipment weighing up to 50 pounds.
· High school diploma or GED.
· Minimum of three (10) years of experience working with masonry, carpentry, at least one of which for a large residential building or institution, as well as experience as a locksmith.
· 10-hour OSHA certificate
· Driver License, Class D must be kept in good standing for the duration of employment
· General knowledge of building plumbing, carpentry, and fire safety equipment
· Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and Microsoft Windows
To apply: E-mail resume and cover letter indicating position and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org