Title: Independent Living Specialist
Program: Ana’s Place
Under the general direction of the Clinical Director and under the direct supervision of the Housing Specialist, the Independent Living Specialist is responsible for providing the required counseling and supportive services to selected clients to facilitate their transition from the shelter to living independently in their communities, as well as to provide the aftercare necessary to ensure permanency; performs related work.
Ana’s Place is a 108 bed 24/7 emergency shelter for homeless men diagnosed with mental illness and/or substance abuse. Our comprehensive services include case management, individual and group counseling, recreational activities and housing placement assistance. Additionally, psychiatric services are provided Monday through Friday, staffed by a psychiatrist, nurse practitioner, registered nurse, and a licensed practical nurse.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The essential duties of the Independent Living Specialist include but are not limited to the following activities:
· Explores and assists clients in accessing the range of independent living options they are qualified for including: LINC, family reunification, Project Reconnect, room rental, NYCHA, etc.
· Provides counseling services to assess and increase independent living skills that will enable clients to maintain permanency in the community: budgeting, medication adherence, employment retention, sobriety or harm reduction and ADLs - both individually and through group sessions.
· Inputs all clients’ information and updates in a timely fashion into the CARES system.
· Drives the Project Renewal vehicle for housing related activities as needed
· Provides ongoing aftercare to identify and address obstacles to permanency, including making sure that clients make their rent payments after moving out.
· Regularly has post-placement phone and/or face to face contacts and provides community escorts as needed.
· Performs other duties as assigned by the Clinical Director or Housing Specialist.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities Continued
Available to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends as needed. Clean driver license and 2 years of sobriety.
While performing the duties of this position, the Independent Living Specialist must be able to walk the interior of the building to talk to clients and staff in the various program areas, and must be able to walk between two floors of the facility (24 stairs), climbing up and down two staircases, in the event the elevator is out of order. In addition, the Independent Living Specialist must be able to sit for extended periods of time working at the computer or making phone calls, as well as bend, reach and or squat to get information from the files. Finally, the Independent Living Specialist must be able to travel through the 5 boroughs using public transportation, and lift or move luggage weighing up to 50 pounds.
All candidates must have at least a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university. A Master’s degree in Social Work or other human services field is strongly preferred.
A minimum of three (3) years of responsible experience working with mentally ill individuals or homeless individuals with either a diagnosis of mental illness or a substance addiction. Housing or real state experience preferred.
Communication: Excellent oral, writing and listening skills.
Organizational skills: An ability to work independently and to adjust one’s schedules to accommodate the needs of the clients.
Interpersonal skills: An ability to interface with clients as well as all levels of staff and providers.
Computer skills: Knowledge of case management softwares as well as a proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
To apply: E-mail resume and cover letter indicating position and salary requirements: firstname.lastname@example.org