Title: Outreach and Health Education Specialist
Department: Healthcare Department
Reporting to the Assistant Administrator of Healthcare Operations and Outreach, the Outreach and Health Education Specialist is responsible for connecting new and existing patients to various healthcare-related education and services, including but not limited to: accessing primary care services, psychiatry services, referrals for specialty care and assistance with health insurance enrollment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The essential duties of the Outreach and Health Education Specialist include but are not limited to the following activities:
Access to Healthcare Services:
Identify, refer and schedule patients in need of health services, including but not limited to tuberculosis screening, comprehensive exams, preventative care screening and treatment of chronic disease and behavioral health through:
· Expanding awareness of healthcare services through shelter-based clinics and mobile health units by conducting community outreach throughout sites such as: transitional housing shelter residence common areas and surrounding perimeters, and other community-based social service organizations.
· Registering patients for healthcare services using patient registration and appropriate consent forms and entering data into the Electronic Medical Record (EMR).
· Scheduling patients for medical appointments for behavioral and primary care services with clinics and /or mobile health units as required
· Facilitating communication between patient and enrollment specialists to support patient’s access to health insurance by
· Supporting access to referral-based specialty care, including but not limited to providing referral appointment reminders to patients, conduct follow-up calls for consult notes
· Escorting patients to medical appointments as directed and when needed
· Distributing and collecting post- service patient satisfaction surveys as directed
· Collecting and document key performance indicators as directed.
Health Literacy and Education:
Support culturally-sensitive health literacy and education efforts focused on chronic disease management, behavioral and reproductive health by:
· Conducting on-going research and compilation of health literature and related resources, electronically and in-print, for distribution and use by both provider-based and patient-based audiences
· Creating and disseminate health promotion materials on a wide array of health topics in a variety of formats (eye-catching posters, resource guides, and pamphlets) across clinic and mobile health unit settings of care
· Developing and conducting health and wellness workshops focused on the needs of the homeless population, including presentation materials, handouts and other related materials
· Facilitating and presenting general and specialized group educational sessions on health topics and the services offered by Project Renewal Inc to sites and partner organizations
· Collecting and analyzing data to evaluate health workshops and resource programs to assess efficacy
1+ years professional experience in healthcare setting, including time spent as either clinical or administrative staff (outpatient clinical experience preferred, but not required)
Experience with homeless population
Must be willing to travel within the 5 boroughs of NYC
Excellent presentation and communication skills
Strong computer skills, with proficiency using Microsoft Office
Experience communicating with physicians, staff and external organizations
Experience with eClinical Works (eCW) electronic medical record system.
Basic knowledge of chronic diseases and clinical processes (diabetes, hypertension, asthma, etc.)
To apply: E-mail resume and cover letter indicating position and salary requirements: firstname.lastname@example.org