VOCATIONAL COUNSELOR, NEXT STEP ACE PROGRAM
Next Step ACE is an employment program for individuals with serious mental illness who seek
meaningful jobs in the competitive employment market. The ACE Vocational Counselor will
work one-on-one with clients to assess their capability and experience and to develop and
implement vocational plans that provide them with the tools they need to find and retain
employment. This will include preparing resumes, conducting mock job interviews, responding
to job leads, assisting clients applying to on-line positions and providing extensive retention
support. The Vocational Counselor will also assist with outreach and recruitment efforts to
help enroll new clients.
Reporting to the Assistant Director of Next Step ACE, duties include but are not limited to:
-Placing clients into jobs that result in achievement of job placement and retention
milestone goals for various contracts.
-Assessing client vocational skills and limitations.
- Developing highly customized employment plans for each client.
- Completing all client documentation, including weekly and monthly case notes that
record services provided and outstanding issues to be addressed.
- Entering client information and progress into various databases including Salesforce,
NYESS, NYC MedPortal, and others as required.
-Helping clients with full range of job preparation activities including preparing resumes,
drafting cover letters, applying for jobs online, and practicing effective interview skills.
- Advocating on a client’s behalf in all job related issues (post employment).
- Providing retention support including regular in-person or phone/email contact.
- Providing supplementary vocational counseling to clients when necessary.
- Scheduling and conducting outreach for client recruitment.
- Master’s degree strongly preferred in mental health, vocational counseling, social work
or related field.
- Previous experience in vocational counseling and/or working with individuals with
serious mental illness or similar population is essential.
- Two years previous vocational experience required.
- Bilingual Spanish preferred.
- Computer proficiency is a must.
To apply: e-mail resume and cover letter indicating position and salary requirements to: