Project Renewal is a leading nonprofit organization known for a creative and entrepreneurial approach to ending homelessness in New York City. Our programs empower homeless and at-risk men, women and children by giving them everything they need to attain health, homes, and jobs. Through innovative, exhaustive, wraparound social services, Project Renewal addresses the needs of 15,000 clients each year. We meet the most vulnerable New Yorkers where they are and provide them with the tools they need, buttressing their capacity to live independently.
East Williamsburg Men’s Shelter is an emergency men’s shelter which helps 98- 140 individuals ages 55 and up with substance abuse histories work towards health, sobriety, and, ultimately, permanent housing and employment. In addition to lodging and three meals a day, clients receive comprehensive case management services, plus an array of substance abuse related and health care services provided by different programs; such as Medically Supervised Outpatient Withdrawal Services (MSOWS); Chemical Dependency Crisis Service (CDCS), and Outpatient Recovery Center available to them throughout the agency.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The essential duties of the Patient Navigator include but are not limited to the following activities:
- Identify, refer and schedule clients in need of services including substance abuse treatment, psychiatric services, physical exams, tuberculosis screening, HIV testing and screening and treatment of chronic illnesses.
- With authorized use of the agency van, transport clients to scheduled medical, housing and other related appointments.
- Provide individual and group counseling and support services to program participants.
- Work with the clinical and medical team to arrange medical appointments, confirm appointments and all other activities required to improve client compliance.
- Work with patients who have complex medical illness requiring frequent appointments in clinic and to specialists, including assisting with transportation and obtaining records from outside medical providers.
- Work with the clinical and medical team to assist residents with enrollment in Medicaid.
- Facilitate communication between clinics and all team members regarding health issues of shelter residents.
- Track client hospitalizations and follow up with local hospitals for clients who have been admitted for over 24 hours.
Education and Skills Requirements
· Bachelor’s Degree preferred
· NY State Driver’s License without points
· Minimum one (1) year experience in a social service or health care setting preferred
· Intermediate keyboarding and computer literacy
· Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
· Bilingual or multilingual a plus
To apply, submit your resume with a cover letter indicating position and salary requirements to: email@example.com
Project Renewal is an equal opportunity employer. Our long-standing policy has been to embrace the equality of opportunity for all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, age, citizenship status, disability, marital or veteran status, or any other protective basis to the extent required by applicable federal, state and local laws.