Project Renewal is a leading nonprofit organization known for a creative and entrepreneurial approach to ending homelessness in New York City. Our programs empower homeless and at-risk men, women and children by giving them everything they need to attain health, homes, and jobs. Through innovative, exhaustive, wraparound social services, Project Renewal addresses the needs of 15,000 clients each year. We meet the most vulnerable New Yorkers where they are and provide them with the tools they need, buttressing their capacity to live independently.
The Fort Washington Men’s Shelter is a 200 bed temporary shelter which Project Renewal manages under a contract with the Department of Homeless Services and the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene. Comprehensive psychiatric, medical and case management services are provided to homeless men who have been diagnosed with mental illness and substance abuse.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The essential duties of the Residential Aide but are not limited to the following activities depending on the particular tour of duty:
· Performs the day- to- day monitoring of the residents’ on site activities.
· Wakes the clients in the mornings and as needed, provides clothing and personal care items to clients.
· Ensures that the clients are out of the dorms by the established time in the morning and not returned until the designated time in the afternoon.
· Reminds clients of their daily schedules.
· On Tuesdays, participates in the removal of linens from the beds and prepares them for pick-up by the vendor providing laundry services.
· Assists the vocational and recreational staff in conducting activities and in escorting clients on trips.
· Observes the behavior of clients and reports any unusual behavior to the case management and clinical staff.
· Supervises the dormitory at nights and responds to any requests from the clients who are awake.
· Works collaboratively with the Program Aides in providing crisis intervention in an emergency situation.
· Secures the clients’ personal property and maintains an inventory of their belongings.
· Maintains the cleanliness of the mockup Room used to train clients in performing their daily living skills activities.
· Maintains the daily census records.
· Assists in the Cafeteria with meals being served to clients at breakfast, lunch and dinner.
· Performs other duties as assigned by the Residential Aide Supervisor or other supervisory staff.
Education and Skills Requirements
· A High School Diploma or GED.
· A minimum of one year of experience working with people diagnosed with mental illness or having a substance abuse addiction, individuals who have been homeless
· Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
· Must obtain F-80 Certificate of Fitness for Coordinator of Fire Safety and Alarm Systems for Shelters
To apply: E-mail resume and cover letter indicating position and salary requirements to: email@example.com
Project Renewal is an equal opportunity employer. Our long-standing policy has been to embrace the equality of opportunity for all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, age, citizenship status, disability, marital or veteran status, or any other protective basis to the extent required by applicable federal, state and local laws.