Project Renewal is a leading non-profit organization with the mission of ending the cycle of homelessness by empowering men, women and children to renew their lives with health, homes, and jobs. Our comprehensive and integrated 24/7 programs are designed to offer the holistic care our clients need. With a staff of 950+ and an annual budget of $82 million, Project Renewal is one of the larger social service nonprofits in New York City.
Title: Recreation Specialist
Program: Fort Washington
The Fort Washington Men’s Shelter is a 200 bed temporary shelter which Project Renewal manages under a contract with the Department of Homeless Services and the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene. Comprehensive psychiatric, medical and case management services are provided to homeless men who have been diagnosed with mental illness and substance abuse.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The essential duties of the Recreation Specialist include but are not limited to the following activities:
· Plans, develops, and implements strategies and programs to facilitate the engagement of clients in recreational activities.
· Oversees Recreation Aides program and assigns Recreation Aides to perform as Escorts to the clients going on trips and other outings.
· Informs social services staff of clients’ participation or lack of participation in recreational events.
· Coordinates and escorts residents on field trips.
· Participates in clinical staff meetings, giving information on clients observed behavior and willingness to participate in planned activities.
· Solicits and manages the outside donations of books and clothing for the clients’ use.
Education and Skills Requirements
· High School Diploma or equivalent
· A minimum of one year of experience working directly with psychiatrically disabled or addicted individuals.
· Experience providing recreation to this population extremely important.
· Knowledge of case management databases and proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
To apply: e-mail resume with cover letter indicating position and salary requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Project Renewal is an equal opportunity employer. Its long-standing policy has been to embrace the equality of opportunity for all employees and applicants without regard to actual or perceived race, color, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, religion or creed, gender (see separately issued Gender Discrimination policy for more detail), physical or mental disability, age (18 and over), military status, arrest record, marital status, domestic partnership status, genetic information or predisposing genetic characteristic, sexual orientation, status as a victim or witness of domestic violence, sex offenses or stalking, unemployment status or any other basis protected by applicable federal, state and local laws.