Project Renewal is a leading non-profit organization with the mission of ending the cycle of homelessness by empowering individuals and families to renew their lives with health, homes, and jobs. Our comprehensive and integrated 24/7 programs are designed to offer the holistic care our clients need. With a staff of 950+ and an annual budget of $100 million, Project Renewal is one of the larger social service nonprofits in New York City.
Title: The Medical Assistant for Primary Care– Healthcare Department
The Medical Assistant reports to the Director of Nursing Operations works to support the provider during patient care in clinics and on the mobile medical vans.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
· Assist with obtaining elements of the history during the patient visit including chief complaint.
· Assists with obtaining results of patient screening tools including smoking, asthma, alcohol, substance use, depression screening and documenting and collection of information on allergies.
· Assists with identifying appropriate patient-specific vaccinations and cancer screening interventions according to department protocols.
· Responsible for collecting and documenting initial health indicators such as height and weight, BMI, temperature, pulse, respiration, blood pressure, peak flow, vision, etc.
· Responsible for assisting the primary care providers during the patient visit within the state regulations specific to Medical Assistants.
· Will maintain medical supplies, equipment, refrigerator monitoring as required; include daily log check/completion and inspection of exam rooms (for needed supplies and overall cleanliness at beginning and end of shift)
· Performs procedures including phlebotomy, urine testing for pregnancy, drugs and chemstrip, fingerstick glucose testing, , EKGs, and pulse oximetry as ordered by the primary care provider.
· Performs HIV counseling and testing using a rapid HIV test according to New York State regulations and under the guidance of the HIV Support Services program.
· Assists with educating patients under the supervision of the licensed provider.
· Assist with coordination of care including referrals, communication with patents about missed appointments, and communication with shelter and other community organization staff involved in patient care as needed.
· Will work as a functional member of the Health Center team.
· Attends staff meetings and conferences.
· Maintains vaccine storage according to the requirements of the New York City, Department of Health and Mental Hygiene.
· Documents patient interactions in the Electronic Health Record as indicated.
· High school Diploma or Equivalent Required
· Graduate of a medical assistant training program required, preference given to Certified Medical Assistants. Proof of training as a Medical Assistant must be provided, reviewed and approved by the Medical Director for Primary Care pre-hire
· Related experience
· Strong interpersonal skills
Communication: Must have excellent oral and listening skills.
Interpersonal skills: Must have the ability to interface with clients as well as all levels of staff.
Computer skills: Must have knowledge Microsoft Office
To apply: E-mail resume and cover letter indicating position and salary requirements to: email@example.com