Title: Counselor, Next Step
Schedule: Part- Time (28 hours)
Next Step Counselors will help enroll new Next Step clients, guiding them from intake to training to job search and employment. On average, Next Step Counselors maintain an active caseload of up to 25-30 job-seeking or vocationally-trained clients.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The essential duties of the Counselor include but are not limited to the following activities:
Reporting to the Outreach and Enrollment Specialist, the counselor’s duties include but are not limited to the following:
· Meeting with clients individually to assess current skills and barriers, to develop a career plan at Next Step.
· Enrolling clients in Next Step programs needed to reach their vocational, educational and employment goals.
· Outreaching clients and referral agencies to schedule initial intake appointments.
· Maintaining regular contact with each client and his/her referring agency to report on program participation and ensure client and referral source are supported and informed.
· Preparing clients for the world of work through individualized activities including resume and cover letter development, assistance with applications, and clothing referrals.
· Inputting relevant information to track client’s progress using an online database.
· Facilitating workshops and computer courses to support client’s successful participation in the workforce.
· Bachelor’s degree required.
· At least 1 year of experience in the social services field.
· Strong computer and communication skills are required.
· Must be organized, detail oriented and a quick learner.
· Must also be able to work closely and effectively with other staff members and outside agencies.
· The ability to engage, empathize, and maintain appropriate professional boundaries with clients.