Title: Rehabilitation Aide
Location: The Support and Connection Center
The Public Health Diversion Center provides 24/7 short stay, engagement, stabilization and treatment services for adults with mental health and/or substance use issues referred directly by NYPD as an alternative to the traditional police responses of arrest, summons, or transport to an emergency room. Guests are referred to the Diversion Center when their infractions are non-violent and/or low-level offenses such as loitering, trespass, public inebriation, and disorderly conduct. The goal of the Diversion Center is to help guests begin to identify and modify the behaviors that result in repeated police contact. An OASAS licensed outpatient clinic, located on site, provides services to guests who are eligible. The average length of stay is anticipated to 5 days.
Under the general direction of the Shift Supervisor, the Rehabilitation Aide provides direct services to guests; supports day to day operations; performs related work.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The essential duties include but are not limited to the following activities depending on the assigned shift:
· Inventories and secures guests’ personal property upon admission
· Performs the day-to-day monitoring of guests on- site activities and reports any concerns
· Provides direct services including serving meals, distributing clothing, linens, and personal care items
· Engages guests to offer support, reminders of appointments, and escorts within the community
· Assists Occupational Therapist in on-site activities
· Assists in de-escalating verbal conflicts between guests
· Participates in conducting monthly fire drills, adhering to FDNY guidelines
· Utilizes CPR/First Aide techniques in emergency situations and conforms to OSHA standards when necessary
· Drives the facility van as needed
· Performs other duties as assigned by supervisory staff
· High School Diploma or GED
· A minimum of one (1) year of experience working with mentally ill and/or substance using adults - candidates with personal experience with recovery preferred.
· An ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing, and to interface with guests as well as all levels of staff
· An ability to listen attentively to staff and guests
· Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, especially e-mail, Word and EXCEL
· Bilingual skills a plus
To apply: E-mail resume and cover letter indicating position and salary requirements: to firstname.lastname@example.org