Position Description: Maintenance Assistant
Under the general direction of the Director of Facilities Management, the Program Director and the direct supervision of the Assistant Director of Facilities Management, the Maintenance Assistant will by performing the work and/or direct vendors to perform the work needed to maintain clean and code-compliant buildings for Project Renewal Inc. and its affiliated companies.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The essential duties of the Maintenance Assistant include but are not limited to the following activities:
· Perform tasks and other duties as directed by the Assistant Director of Facilities Management, Building Manager , Program Director or Director of Facilities Management.
· Work closely with the Maintenance Staff, Building Managers, and Program Directors to ensure the safe maintenance and operation of shelters and residential facilities
· Complete in a timely manner written and verbal requests for work from building managers as instructed by the Director of Facilities Management , Building Manager and Assistant Director of Facilities Management
· Preform minor plumbing assignments and primary responsibility to assist Plumbers and Mechanics in completing work orders when necessary (unclogging plumbing fixtures etc.)
· Perform carpentry work including sheet rocking, plastering, taping and painting as directed by Director of Facilities Management and Assistant Director of Facilities Management.
· Personally perform difficult repairs in a timely manner
· Should be aware of possible exposure, while performing duties, to safety and hazard concerns. Uses all appropriate safety and hazardous control equipment, personal protective equipment, and employs all safety measures. Responds to safety and hazardous conditions with the appropriate safety protocol to insure the safety of for him/herself, all staff, and clients
· Available for on-call response to emergencies on a 24x7 basis
· In the absence of the Assistant Director of Facilities understand issues and contact appropriate manager for directions
· Perform other duties as assigned by the Assistant Director of Facilities, Program Director, Building Manager or Director of Facilities and the.
· Performs duties in all PRI locations as directed by the Assistant Director of Facilities or Director of Facilities
· Replace lightbulbs and socket
· Performs other duties as assigned
High school diploma or GED
Minimum of three (3) years of experience working with masonry, plumbing, and carpentry, at least one of which for a large residential building or institution, as well as experience as a locksmith.
Certificates, Licenses, and Credentials
Boiler certification, F-99
City Wide Standpipe System, S-13 (must be obtained within six months of start date)
City Wide Sprinkler system, S-12 (must be obtained within six months of start date)
10-hour OSHA certificate
Driver License, Class D must be kept in good standing for the duration of employment
Job duties generally require the physical activities described below, subject to any necessary reasonable accommodations due to disability. While performing the duties of this position, the Maintenance Assistant is regularly required to walk throughout the buildings. In the event the elevator is out of order, the Maintenance Assistant must walk between the floors of the facilities, sub-basement to roof, climbing up and down the staircases in order to observe vendors and tend to building needs. Furthermore, the Maintenance Assistant must stand to talk to staff, sit for extended periods of time at the computer, bend, reach or squat to get records from the files or when addressing building needs, climb and work from ladders of 2 to 16 feet in height also climb fixed access ladder, work from multi-purpose scaffold, and be able to lift and or move packages as well as furniture and equipment weighing up to 50 pounds.
Teamwork: Ability to work cooperatively with peers and other staff in order to serve the needs of clients.
Systems: General knowledge of building plumbing and electrical systems, boilers, and fire safety equipment.
Communication: Ability to effectively communicate with all levels of staff requesting maintenance and repair services.
Computer: Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and Microsoft Windows.
To apply: e-mail resume with cover letter indicating position and salary requirements: firstname.lastname@example.org