NEXT STEP COUNSELOR
Project Renewal, Inc. – Next Step Employment Program
About Project Renewal, Inc. PRI’s mission is to empower homeless men and women with mental illness and/or addiction to move permanently from the streets or shelters to health, homes, and jobs. Our comprehensive and innovative approach combines healthcare, addiction and mental health treatment, employment services, and housing to help our clients rebuild their lives. The Next Step Employment Programs provides free employment and education services to veterans, ex-offenders, homeless/formerly homeless and low-income New Yorkers who may also suffer from substance abuse and/or mental illness. Since 2000, Project Renewal has helped nearly 4,000 New Yorkers find and retain employment, achieve economic security, lead more fulfilling lives, and positively contribute to their communities.
Next Step Counselor-Next Step Counselors will serve as a “shepherd” to all incoming Next Step clients, guiding them from intake to training to job search and employment – with the goal of completing intakes with at least 2-4 new clients each week. On average, Next Step Counselors maintain an active caseload of up to 25 job-seeking or vocationally-trained clients. Note: This is a temporary part-time position, up to 19 hours per week.
Reporting to the Assistant Director, the counselor’s duties include but are not limited to the following:
· Meeting with clients individually to assess which Next Step programs are needed to reach his/her vocational, educational and employment goals.
· Maintaining regular contact with each client and his/her referring agency to report on program participation and ensure that corrective steps are taken when a client appears to be non-compliant with the program.
· Preparing clients for the world of work through individualized activities including resume and cover letter development, assistance with applications, and clothing referrals.
· Sharing relevant information between Next Step Program staff via client file management and meetings to ensure that services are appropriately provided to clients.
· Submitting reports to referral agency staff, when requested, to report on the client progress through Next Step.
· Inputting relevant information to track client’s progress using an online database.
· Occasional attendance at outreach events at locations throughout New York City.
· Tutoring in computer and education classes, as time permits.
· Bachelor’s degree required.
· At least 1 year of case management experience required.
· Strong computer and communication skills are required.
· Must be organized, detail oriented and a quick learner.
· Must also be able to work closely and effectively with other staff members and outside agencies.
· The ability to engage, empathize and create/maintain positive relationships with appropriate professional boundaries with clients is also a must.
To apply, submit your resume with a cover letter indicating position and salary requirements to: email@example.com