Project Renewal is a leading nonprofit organization known for a creative and entrepreneurial approach to ending homelessness in New York City. Our programs empower homeless and at-risk men, women and children by giving them everything they need to attain health, homes, and jobs. Through innovative, exhaustive, wraparound social services, Project Renewal addresses the needs of 15,000 clients each year. We meet the most vulnerable New Yorkers where they are and provide them with the tools they need, buttressing their capacity to live independently.
Kenton Hall is a 108 bed 24/7 emergency shelter for homeless men with substance abuse issues and mental health issues. In addition to on-site rehabilitation services, our comprehensive services include case management, individual and group counseling, recreational activities and housing placement assistance. Additionally, an on-site medical, psychiatric and dental clinic operates Monday through Friday.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The essential duties of the Housing Specialist include but are not limited to the following activities:
· Utilizing vacancy rosters identifies vacancies throughout the five boroughs and selects possible housing options to which clients can apply for placement.
· Reviews the application package for each client to be sure documents are complete and up to date and make the submission to the housing provider.
· Reviews the Overnight Report daily to become aware of new clients to be scheduled for orientation and to know if any clients have missed curfew and possibly a scheduled appointment for housing placement.
· Conducts weekly individualized and groups meetings for clients focusing on housing placement issues.
· Prepare clients for housing interviews, conducting mock interview sessions, accompanying them on tours of facilities, and in general coordinate and facilitate the referral processes.
· Performs special follow-up on any denial of housing applications submitted to housing providers.
· Works collaboratively with Case Managers on housing options for clients and having the documented financial resources for submitting the applications to the housing provider.
· Maintains and provides information and reports on housing milestones, housing placements and attends weekly meeting on these issues.
· Attends and participates in the weekly Performance for Permanency (P4P) case management conferences.
· Per the discharge documents for clients, participates in 6 month follow-up with clients placed in housing to track their progress in maintaining their new housing.
· Performs other duties as assigned by the Director of Social Services
Education and Skills Requirements
· Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university; A Master’s degree in Social Work is preferred.
· A minimum of three (3) years of progressively responsible experience working with mentally ill individuals or homeless individuals in finding permanent housing preferred
· A knowledge of low income housing in New York City as well as special needs housing, including the NY/NY Supportive Housing and Section 8 housing preferred
· Must have knowledge of case management softwares as well as a proficiency in Microsoft Office, especially Word and EXCEL
To apply: e-mail: resume with cover letter indicating position and salary requirements: email@example.com
Project Renewal is an equal opportunity employer. Its long-standing policy has been to embrace the equality of opportunity for all employees and applicants without regard to actual or perceived race, color, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, religion or creed, gender (see separately issued Gender Discrimination policy for more detail), physical or mental disability, age (18 and over), military status, arrest record, marital status, domestic partnership status, genetic information or predisposing genetic characteristic, sexual orientation, status as a victim or witness of domestic violence, sex offenses or stalking, unemployment status or any other basis protected by applicable federal, state and local laws.